New Functional Medicine Practice for Gut, Thyroid, and Chronic Disease
As the capital of Texas and the fastest-growing big city in the country, it’s no surprise that Austin has a vibrant community of integrative medicine practitioners. The Austin Wellness Collaborative—an online directory of Austin integrative providers—currently has over 1,800 listings. Whether you’re seeking a massage therapist, acupuncturist, or functional medicine doctor, Austin likely has what you need.
Find the Right Integrative Medicine Provider in Austin
It’s not always easy to find a doctor or health provider that’s right for you. This can be especially true if you’re looking for integrative medicine practitioners who often work in independent practices.
To find the right integrative medicine practitioner for you, first follow these two steps:
- Define what you need: Get clear on what kind of service you need. For example, medical consultation, acupuncture, or physical therapy.
- Identify medical professionals with a specialty: It’s essential to find a practitioner who offers the type of service you need and specializes in your particular health issue.
Integrative Medicine: Austin’s New Gut, Thyroid, and Chronic Disease Clinic
If you’re struggling with digestive symptoms, thyroid trouble, or chronic disease, you now have a trusted integrative medicine Austin option.
Digestive health and thyroid specialist Dr. Michael Ruscio recently relocated his California functional medicine practice to a new, expanded clinic in Austin, Texas. Joining the integrative practice are two additional functional medicine doctors and a health coach.
Dr. Michael Ruscio and his team at Austin Functional Medicine are thrilled to join the integrative medicine Austin community.
What Health Challenges Can Austin Functional Medicine Help You With?
Austin Functional Medicine provides comprehensive integrative and functional medicine services to the Austin area, and telehealth medicine to patients across the United States and beyond. Our clinic specializes in gut and thyroid health, and chronic disease.
The practitioner team at AustinFM are trained in both Western medicine and functional medicine approaches and can work as part of your primary care or integrative care team.
Austin Functional Medicine Care Team:
- Dr. Michael Ruscio, DNM, DC, functional and integrative medicine doctor, specializing in gut and thyroid disorders
- Dr. Robert Abbott, MD, integrative and lifestyle functional medicine physician
- Dr. Joe Mather, MD, MPH, TM, board certified family practice and functional medicine physician
- Morgan Molidor, MSc, Nutritionist, and Health Coach specializing in functional medicine and therapeutic diets
Austin Functional Medicine is taking new patients with the following health challenges:
- Digestive health issues, including IBS, IBD, SIBO, leaky gut, Celiac disease, reflux, and heartburn.
- Thyroid health issues, including hypothyroidism, hyperthryoidism, and autoimmune thyroid disorders.
- Hormone imbalances
- Chronic disease conditions, like autoimmune disorders and mold illness.
You’re also welcome to inquire if you have other health concerns you’d like to address—such as chronic pain, weight loss, or heart disease—or just want to live your healthiest life.
3 Reasons Austin Functional Medicine Is Unique
Dr. Ruscio and the AustinFM team bridge the gap between conventional medicine and integrative and functional medicine. We provide whole-person medical care that is informed by scientific evidence. And most importantly for our patients, we strive to provide high-quality care at the lowest price possible.
1. Austin Functional Medicine physicians uncover the root causes of your health issues while minimizing testing and treatment costs.
Many functional medicine practitioners count on expensive specialty lab tests and complicated supplement protocols. This can lead to high costs for patients and unproductive diagnoses that don’t lead to improved quality of life for patients.
For example, in a case study published in my clinician’s newsletter, a patient wanted to improve his overall cardiovascular health and decrease jet lag effects from his international travel. Another functional medicine doctor ordered $2,300 worth of tests, prescribed expensive supplements, and the patient didn’t see any improvements.
On the other hand, Dr. Abbott recommended a few research-backed behavioral changes for the patient: modified fasting during travel and on his return, basic supplements, and dietary changes to address his lipids. The patient’s travel side effects improved significantly without any high costs or extreme measures.
Our philosophy is: If it isn’t likely to lead to improved health, we won’t ask you to spend your money on it.
2. Under Dr. Ruscio’s leadership, the Austin FM team holds each test and protocol to the highest standards of evidence.
We base recommendations on clinical and peer-reviewed scientific evidence. We use a data-driven approach to assess our own biases in clinical practice and the inherent bias in the functional and integrative medicine space as a whole.
3. At AustinFM, we are diligent about the time we spend with patients.
We prepare in advance for each visit. We synthesize health history and clinical information, and formulate an individualized treatment plan that fits the patient’s story, signs, and symptoms. By valuing our patient’s time and preparing effectively, we can make our functional and integrative services more affordable.
What Is the Integrative and Functional Medicine Approach?
Integrative and functional medicine practitioners work to restore their patients’ health by finding and addressing the root causes of their imbalances.
Functional medicine doctors consider how a patient’s unique internal and external environment affects their health. It accounts for the complex biological system of a whole person.
Functional medicine practitioners also pride themselves on creating a solid therapeutic relationship with their patients, which is often missing in conventional medicine practices.
Integrative and holistic medicine practitioners create highly personalized treatment protocols designed for each patient.
Integrative medicine also encourages patients to incorporate other modalities and practitioners into their health-care approach.
We understand that access to a team of family medicine or primary care physicians, chiropractors, physical therapists, acupuncturists, health coaches, and practitioners of alternative medicine modalities can lead to better patient outcomes. If necessary for your care, Austin Functional Medicine can refer you to complementary services to help you feel better faster.
How Do Integrative and Functional Medicine Differ From Conventional Medicine?
Patients often discover integrative and functional medicine when they have exhausted all other avenues for healing and wellness.
Conventional medicine is highly skilled at treating acute health concerns, like injuries or simple infectious diseases. But it is not well-equipped to treat chronic health conditions. According to the Centers for Disease Control, 60% of US adults have a chronic disease, and 40% have two or more.
A significant portion of these chronic diseases are lifestyle diseases, like diabetes or heart disease. In these cases, diet and lifestyle changes can make a big difference in outcomes.
Conventional medicine applies acute-care protocols to manage chronic conditions. Although guidelines exist in conventional medicine for diet and lifestyle goals, most conventional practitioners don’t have time to discuss lifestyle medicine with their patients. Instead, they rely on “quick-fix” solutions that don’t address the root cause of health challenges, nor the diet and lifestyle modifications that can truly make a difference in health outcomes.
Over the past decade, many patients have sought functional and holistic medicine solutions as an alternative to this conventional medicine model that has failed them.
Become a Patient With Austin Functional Medicine
Unlike conventional medicine that focuses on the symptoms of illness and disease, functional and integrative medicine identifies and addresses its root causes. It offers a comprehensive approach to wellness and understands that you are a whole human being, not just a series of individual body parts.
To that end, we recently opened our doors at Austin Functional Medicine, and are ready to begin providing customized, holistic patient care.
We are ready to become part of your dedicated and compassionate team of specialists in integrative medicine. Austin Functional Medicine can be your go-to resource for solving your gut and hormone health challenges.
If you are struggling with digestive, thyroid, or other health issues, and are ready to work with practitioners who will take the time to understand you, we would like to hear from you and appreciate the opportunity to serve you.
Here are a few more resources that can help you.
- Healthy Gut, Healthy You: Written by Dr. Ruscio, this book is a step-by-step guide to heal from your digestive challenges. This book details the treatment algorithm Dr. Ruscio uses in the clinic with his patients, and has trained Dr. Abbott and Dr. Mather to use as well. Painstakingly researched and accessible to anyone, Healthy Gut, Healthy You can help you take the right steps in the right order to get well.
- Dr. Ruscio Radio: Dr. Ruscio’s podcast has hundreds of episodes interviewing experts in the functional and integrative medicine space about everything from IBS to mold illness.
- Dr. Ruscio Blog: These in-depth, researched articles cover gut health, thyroid health, and more.
We look forward to supporting you on your journey back to wellness.